I discovered an amazing Soup recipe that is purely delicious and purely good for you. It is packed with vitamins and minerals and all the things that make your insides happy. You won't be disappointed with this one. I didn't have a lot of things on hand but make do and come up with your own variation. Let me know how you like it. To top it off i made some yummy Homemade wheat bread to go with it.
Soup for the Soul
Ingredients (8-10 cups)
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, uncooked( i used wheat berries/kernels)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube(i used chicken bouillon)
- 6 cups water, boiled
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1.5-2 cups cooked black beans (about one 15oz can)
- 1 tsp good-quality curry powder
- Pinch or two of cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, well rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of saffron threads (optional, but tasted amazing)I used only 4 cups of water and I didn't have zucchini, tomatoes. Instead the veggies i used were carrots, onions, mushrooms, green beans (not the canned nasty stuff but the fresh yummyness), spinach and kale. you can add whatever veggies you like.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the chopped sweet onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the chopped carrots, chopped zucchini, and minced garlic, and continue to sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Place your bouillon cube into a medium sized bowl. Boil 6 cups of water and pour over the bouillon cube. Stir well to dissolve. Add bouillon mixture, tomatoes, red quinoa, black beans, and spices + seasonings. Bring to a boil and then simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the roughly chopped spinach, stir well, and cover. Simmer on low for about 15-35 minutes. The longer you cook it the more the flavours will develop. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary. I also have a feeling this soup will be even better the next day! Garnish with nuts of choice if preferred. (didn't do this step)